Wednesday, December 3, 2008

What's it all Worth?

While studying frantically for Finance on a sugar Starbucks latte high I came across this quote..."I always knew I was going to be rich. I never doubted it for one minute" Warren Buffett. One of the richest men in the world always had his mind on the prize and even though not everyone may strive to be billionaires, we should do the same. Someone once told me that when you discover your passion, what makes you sizzle, excited, the thing you love to do that will actually feed you and put a roof over your head, you will inevitably become successful. Passion=drive=innovative thinking=success=$$ and in that case $+passion= even more success. If the things we invest in makes our worth, well what other investment to put effort and money into than ourselves. The you that is furiously typing finance notes on your macbook, the you that is drinking that $4.50 pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks, the you that is up at 7 lifting weights and running on the treadmill and the same one that is out on the town downing dirty martinis in a dark bar. What we do makes us what we are worth, and only the choices we make rise or lower our own stock.    

1 comment:

The Happiest Activist said...

You did NOT just come up with all that on your own, did you? I love you so much.

"What we do makes us what we are worth."

Hm. I agree with you wholeheartedly--I love art and selling and beauty and am therefore in advertising; you love Spanish and clothing so are going into clothing marketing in Spain--but at the same time, don't you think this is a dangerous way to look at life?

So, Jenny down the street with three kids is only worth her McDonald's job and cigarettes? My daddy is only worth his real estate and his fishing? You get what I'm saying.

It's a dangerous path to tread, the idea of "you are what you do," but I guess if you "do" it right, it's okay. I just don't want to go through life telling people, "I'm in advertising" as my first introduction. I'm not a moneymaker above all, and never will be. Hell, I will be rich--don't doubt that--but money is nothing when you're 80 years old with lung cancer and you have a bunch of brats for children.

I want to be rich so I can travel and own houses around the world and treat my husband and children to a life of rich experiences, not wealth.

So, instead of "What do you do?" at a dinner party, someone will ask, "Where'd you get that amazing tan?"

"Off the Amalfi coast. We just got back from a cavediving excursion."

:)